Images - Slide to change vs. pan current picture

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 12:41:09 UTC 2011

On Friday 09 September 2011, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hey everyone,
> there is something odd in the Images application: When I start it and swipe
> sideways over a picture, it changes to the next one - which is the expected
> behavior. But every now and then, it just pans the picture. And from that
> moment on, I cannot change the picture with that gesture anymore.
> Why does that happen and can it be fixed?
> Regards,
> Thomas

Hi,
I just copied the behaviour from the meego tablet image viewer.
since both change with swipe and panning the photo are two things that are
both needed, it's quite tricky since they conflict.
what they have done and i did as well is that it slides to the next/previous
picture when the image is small enough or zoomed out enough, while it pans
when is not fully shown, so bigger images have to be zoomed out.

there are 2 known bugs regarding that that make it a bit more painful to use
than it should be:
* not all images have the right zoom level by default, so have to be zoomed
out for swiping to work
* zooming out with pinching seems to block the interface, +/- buttons have to
be used instead (slightly hard to debug since all the pinching code is a
meego-specific patch because pinching in QML is not api stable in Qt 4.7)

i'm open towards other ways to chose between swipe and pan (I also tought
about reserving for pan just a small area towards the screen borders)

only conditions are:
a) both must still be possible (pan more important than swiping to me)
b) no extra graphical elements have to be added for it