handle for activity switcher is always shown on top, even on top of apps

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Oct 27 15:34:50 UTC 2011

> This one is tricky... but I heard it often as a request from users, so I
> give it a try here.
>
> ** Proposed Change **
> Show the handle for activity switcher always shown on top, even on top
> of apps, to make switching between activities easy.
>
> ** Reason For Change **
> Quicker change to another activity, instead of going back to current
> activity and pull the handle there.
> Usecase: I am editing a document, a client calls me and I try to open
> his file/details etc in the other activity.
>
> ** Implementation Details **
> - handle is shown on top of every app -> problem: if important buttons
> of the app are displayed underneath the handle...

How about that: Do not display the actual handle, but if the user swipes
in from the right edge (starting from beyond the screen), open the
switcher
anyways. This way it can't hide anything underneath but is still
accessible.
That's something we need to teach users, of course, since it's completely
undiscoverable, but I know of a certain operating system that by now has
an 8 in its name which does that too.