Tasks for Google Code-In

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 12:01:35 UTC 2011

On Thursday 27 October 2011, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi all,
> Lydia Pintscher asked me if we could come up with UI design or UX research
> tasks
> for Plasma Active for Google Code-In ( see
> http://blog.lydiapintscher.de/2011/10/17/i-need-your-ideas-for-google-code
> -in/
> for details). These tasks are supposed to be rather small and doable by
> high-school
> students.
> Here are some that came to my mind:
> - Identify KDE applications that would be especially useful on a mobile
> device and

+1

> identify what would need to be done to make them touch-friendly
> - Identify what would need to be done to make non-Active apps currently
> shipped
> with PA (e.g. Okular, Bangarang) more touch-friendly

this could become a series of documented pain points, like
"i tried to do x and i had to use a mouse in this step because of.. "

> - Extract interaction patterns from the shell as well as current Active
> apps to add to
> our - yet to be created - Interaction Pattern Library
> - Create additional usage scenarios for Plasma Active

not sure of those two, while very useful, the typical target of code-in is
high school students.. let's say it wasn't soo much positive last year, ie
what was really simple tasks, they did their "homework", things that required
a bit more imagination, hmm, wasn't that good ;)
they want a lot of very small tasks just to be able to say look, i'm the first
in the ranking :p

> - Further expand our FAQ
+1