touchy settings UI architecture

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Oct 20 09:31:47 UTC 2011

On Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:17:55 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > It also struck me that we have no guideline how to set up a UI. Not that
> > I've gotten to this yet, but it's probably something we need to work on in
> > the future.
>
> If you mean "UI Design Guideline" than that's my bad actually.
> I was going to start creating guidelines but couldn't find the time to do
> them yet.
> I hope I'll find the time during the  next few weeks when I finished
> moving from
> Cologne to the Darmstadt area.

Ah, cool. Didn't know it was on your radar.

For me, particularly useful would be two things:

- How to do page layouts?
(in QWidget-based UIs, we mostly used the FormLayout (
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qq/qq25-formlayout.html ), but that doesn't mean it
makes sense for Active. For the settings module, the individual module should
work well in one column, smart-phone like layout, but also be used as second
column, so it makes sense for example on tablets.

- Apply button or direct effect?
Should there be an apply button at all, or should we make settings get in
effect directly (with an undo option, possibly a preview)?

sebas