Recommendations workflow

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 17:51:35 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 12:35 AM, Ivan Cukic <ivan.cukic at kde.org> wrote:
> Carl wrote:
>> Since the early days of your innovative and provocative ways of
>> thinking of menus, it has been educational and insightful for me to
>
> Thanks :) I'm a bit under the hood lately, so I don't get to discuss UI
> stuff much.
>
>> This issue definitely deserves thought. The normal workflow is
>> habituated for most experienced computer users...users who understand
>> applications, directories, file associations. Recommendations disrupt
>
> There are quite a few questions that I think need testing and user (not
> geek) questionnaires. (but without ending up with abominations like some
> recent developments in the proprietary world)

I had two cases yesterday. Some apps defaultSave to ~/Documents. In
addition, I saveAs to several subdirectories of ~/KDE. I was trying to
find a document with Dolphin and had to look in several places before
I found it. It would be helpful to have a contextual way of saving and
finding things.

The situation is worse with my wife's Windows machine. Documents and
settings, user, default user, realname user, My Documents, My
Documents/My Documents--dreadful. She has all manner of things related
to quilting--photos of some she has made, some that others have made,
instructions, quilting patterns, templates, websites in browser
bookmarks (Firefox and Chrome). She really tries to save things so
that they can be found later. A generalizable use case would be
Activity-related saving and finding. Recommendations might include
"looking for something?" that expanded to "What kind of
something--image, website...".

I did another demonstration last evening of the tablet (ExoPC,
openSUSE, PA, Contour). People are fascinated by Activities and
Recommendations. The Recommendations rap starts with "As We May Think"
and the Memex [1]. People get it...and like it, want it.

It seems like it's important to keep on track with Recommendations as
y'all have been thinking it...if only baby steps to start.

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_We_May_Think

Carl