Recommendations workflow

Fania Bremmer fania.bremmer at basyskom.de
Fri Oct 14 16:52:57 UTC 2011

Hi ,

I think, Ivan, youre right; the left panel might not be optimal in the
users flow. In fact, we should optimize our proposed data with
recommendations system wide.
And I guess Carl is right as well, that we need to take care of the
users behaviour and patterns for this.

So here are my thoughts on that, kind of unordered still:
- Recommendations should be helpful, they are future actions the user
most likely will do or information he will need. They are provided by
our "magical linkage"
between information, usage and patterns (context would be a factor as well).
- recommendations are not only actions, but a smart UX for providing
data to the user that is important to him
- they can only be smart if they fit to the users intention. his
intentions will most likely depend on his context, location, time,
current activity, patterns, his mood (that the unkown factor ;)

If we dont keep them in a seperate layer, we should offer them
throughout the system via smart defaults:
- depending on the current location and time, the activity switcher
shows relevant activities for "Home, 8pm", others then "Metro, 7am"
(having all activities alphabetically ordered in our "Overview page",
still a concept, not implemented)
- depending on the current activity the "add resource" window shows
relevant data related/"near" to the activity below the normal categories
and the search bar
- depending if the contact is important to the currenty activity,
highlight the notification of the incoming call in a special way
- depending on the most used apps in general, we show a section that is
dynamically ordered with the top10 used apps
-  etc etc
I guess the challenge here is to keep in balance between dynamical
reordering and presentation of data and confusing the user completely,
because for example all his apps in the launch area are shuffled daily :)

Well, I guess this is a most interesting subject that needs more
rethinking... Maybe fresh ideas come over the weekend.

Bye,
Fania