let's begin with two

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 20:03:46 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 12 October 2011, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> Therefore I think it is okay to not have a system that fully supports the
> image
> organizing user story  in PA2 yet, but to me the system feels really
> incomplete
> if I have to use Konsole in order to get files from an external drive onto
> my
> device.
> Plus, a file organizing mechanism could also help with the problem of new
> files

you are both right.. there are things of the main ui that still need clean up.
but, for the ui polishing part, i would keep it pretty minimum, last thing we
want at this point is turning upside down..

also on the file management is right..
I hoped in the beginning that it would have been possible getting away by
completely hiding the filesystem.. mybe is still possible, i don't know.

anyways, what i want to achieve with my priority, "componentization", is to
a) have a proper model for nepomuk queries, and that makes this a tad more
robust and useful,
b) bindings for other models such as krunner and kfileplacesmodel (a
kfileplaces primitive binding is already present in the image app, since is
possible to view photos from pendrives already)
c) some maybe primitive but functional ui components (ie, used around
applications, always the same) for the above models, and that would allow for
a basic exploring/copying around both of the filesystem or nepomuk stuff, like
tags or activities

i hope also to be able to replace the file selection dialog with that thing,
even tough without patching qt or kdelibs seems is possible to do only with a
rather convoluted loophole by setting a global static function pointer in the
qstyle, ouch ;)

> not being indexed because Strigi is suspended since it would have to
> handle
> addition to the Nepomuk database in order to work anyway.

as for strigi, battery consumption or not here it should be always running, no
matter what.