[plasma-mobile/sebas/firstrun] shell/firstrun: make it somehow work

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Oct 5 00:08:11 UTC 2011

Hey,

On Tuesday, October 04, 2011 11:07:50 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 04, 2011 10:52:23 Marco Martin wrote:
> > > Caveats:
> > > - waits for 60 seconds right now in order to have nepomuk start up,
> > >   otherwise soprano can't find the server
> >
> > you can take a look in the metadata engine, where is checked for the
> > nepomuk  dbus service to come up. i did add a new function in the nepomuk
> > api for that, but wasn't backported to 4.7 since was a bit invasive
>
> ok, I'll take a look there.

Works now. :)

> > > - after first run, bookmarks and apps appear on all activities. this
> > >
> > >   seems to 'fix itself' after restarting plasma-device. Maybe the
> > >   activityscreen doesn't pay close enough attention when bookmarks /
> > >   apps
> > >   are added?
> >
> > here is strange that creating the activities with vacabulary::kext didn't
> > help.
> >
> > what i think it happens is the sparql query being generated with a non
> > existent resource as the activity, in this case becomes a wildchar and the
> > query matches with everything that has isrelated with something
>
> Note that the relation seems to be stored correctly, but that only shows up
> on subsequent starts.

Don't know about this. :/

> > > - For bookmarks, we don't get previews: bookmarks are likely to be added
> > >
> > >   by active-firstrun before the network is up. Should probably show a
> > >   suitable icon in that case and update the preview later on.
> >
> > ok, so something like the picture delegate should be done, it shows the
> > mime  icon until the preview is loaded
> ok anyways, do we still try to make this work for pa1 or we go for the db
> > copy?
>
> I'd like to make it work.

I've made it load a fallback image with an icon on it. At that, I've disabled
the web previews for now, as I've seen frequent crashes in qtwebkit with it.
It runs in process, so brings plasma down and blocks it. I'll turn this into a
thumbnailer plugin, which solves both problems (out of process, so doesn't
crash plasma and doesn't block UI), but not before PA1. Now all requests for
previews are passed to KIO, so as soon as KIO learns to snapshot webpages, it
will magically start to work again. Anyway, stability trumps fanciness here at
this point.

I've merged these changes into master. For packaging, that means two changes:
- add /usr/bin/active-firstrun to installed files
- install plasma-mobile/config/plasma-active-firstrun.desktop into
  /usr/share/autostart

sebas