Some of the things needed for 1.0

Shantanu Tushar Jha jhahoneyk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 13:36:56 UTC 2011

Hi Carl,

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Carl Symons <carlsymons at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 7:18 AM, Markus Slopianka <markus.s at kdemail.net>
> wrote:
> > On Sonntag 02 Oktober 2011 15:19:47 Ivan Čukić wrote:
> >
> >> If calligra ppl want to implement pdf and other format's support,
> >> fine, if not we can't use it.
> >
> > At least PDF support is definitely planned.
> >

> >> If yes, we can use it, but not before it
> >> becomes more stable, like okular currently is.
> >
> > You called for a touchscreen version of Okular which requires a
> completely new GUI which
> > is _currently_ not available.
> > Embedding the Okular KPart in Calligra would combine Okular's stability
> with Calligra's
> > touch GUI. That would be a relatively easy stop-gap solution until native
> Calligra PDF
> > support is ready.
> >

> There is an immediate use case for showing presentations on the
> tablet. In fact, that's one of the primary ways I expect to be using
> it.
>
> I've just experimented with a presentation that I will be giving later
> this week to a real live customer. Okular works; Calligra Active
> doesn't.

I guess you tried it with a PDF, that won't work. (read below)

> Okular may not have what people here consider a touchscreen interface,
> but it works fine for me. There are no reasonable obstacles to its
> use. I would prefer not to have to be so precise in selecting menu
> choices, but in several such operations, there was only one error.
>
> Trying to get Calligra Active to work with stop-gap solutions is a bad
> idea.
>
> Secondary consideration...
> I'm not working in the technology; I'm a reasonably well informed
> user. I support Calligra's push to parity with other FOSS office
> suites, and am willing to sacrifice somewhat to in that support.
> However, with the ExoPC/openSUSE/PlasmaActive/Contour set-up, Calligra
> Active, I'm mystified.

That is so because it is designed by someone (me :P) who frankly didn't have
good experience with touch UIs. Still making improvements, but yes I agree
the pace isn't good.

> I select Calligra Active and am presented with a screen showing a list
> with purty icons...Document, Spreadsheet, Presentation, Open Document.
> Pressing Open Document opens a file open dialog. Pressing any other
> button does nothing.
>
> PDFs won't open in Calligra Active. ODPs open with the slides taking
> about 50% of the available screen area in the upper left corner. There
> is no apparent way to resize them. The slides can be moved to the
> center of the screen, and retreat to upper left when released.

Thanks for bringing this to notice, I was so engaged in other stuff[1] that
I didn't pay attention to the slides appearing smaller. Somehow I think I've
used a absolute zoom factor which worked on my laptop screen but not
everywhere. I'm trying to fix this one.
PDFs are not yet supported in CA, sorry.

[1] Desktop search integration, so now the other three buttons work :)

> As it currently is, Calligra Active is not ready for the tablet.
> Favoring it over Okular shows Plasma Active in a bad light.
>
> Carl

Shantanu Tushar    (UTC +0530)
http://www.shantanutushar.com