Some of the things needed for 1.0

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 15:42:51 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 7:18 AM, Markus Slopianka <markus.s at kdemail.net> wrote:
> On Sonntag 02 Oktober 2011 15:19:47 Ivan Čukić wrote:
>
>> If calligra ppl want to implement pdf and other format's support,
>> fine, if not we can't use it.
>
> At least PDF support is definitely planned.
>

>> If yes, we can use it, but not before it
>> becomes more stable, like okular currently is.
>
> You called for a touchscreen version of Okular which requires a completely new GUI which
> is _currently_ not available.
> Embedding the Okular KPart in Calligra would combine Okular's stability with Calligra's
> touch GUI. That would be a relatively easy stop-gap solution until native Calligra PDF
> support is ready.

There is an immediate use case for showing presentations on the
tablet. In fact, that's one of the primary ways I expect to be using
it.

I've just experimented with a presentation that I will be giving later
this week to a real live customer. Okular works; Calligra Active
doesn't.

Okular may not have what people here consider a touchscreen interface,
but it works fine for me. There are no reasonable obstacles to its
use. I would prefer not to have to be so precise in selecting menu
choices, but in several such operations, there was only one error.

Trying to get Calligra Active to work with stop-gap solutions is a bad idea.

Secondary consideration...
I'm not working in the technology; I'm a reasonably well informed
user. I support Calligra's push to parity with other FOSS office
suites, and am willing to sacrifice somewhat to in that support.
However, with the ExoPC/openSUSE/PlasmaActive/Contour set-up, Calligra
Active, I'm mystified.

I select Calligra Active and am presented with a screen showing a list
with purty icons...Document, Spreadsheet, Presentation, Open Document.
Pressing Open Document opens a file open dialog. Pressing any other
button does nothing.

PDFs won't open in Calligra Active. ODPs open with the slides taking
about 50% of the available screen area in the upper left corner. There
is no apparent way to resize them. The slides can be moved to the
center of the screen, and retreat to upper left when released.

As it currently is, Calligra Active is not ready for the tablet.
Favoring it over Okular shows Plasma Active in a bad light.

Carl