active boot time traces, some time later..

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Nov 24 17:13:32 UTC 2011

On Thursday 24 November 2011 15:55:37 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 November 2011, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > But I fear that the issue is that the Intel graphics are just not capable
> > of doing OpenGL 2 decently. There is a reason why we default to OpenGL 1
> > for Intel on the desktop... I know we have one slow code path in the
> > fragment shader which doesn't matter on decent hardware, but might matter
> > on not so good hardware. The slow code path is an if-statement in the
> > fragment shader. Yes a simple branch which is evaluated to false most of
> > the time.
>
> little update on this:
> i re enabled the effects in the packages and tried the showpaint effect:
> what seems to happen is that on every frame of anything the whole screen
> gets repainted, if i drag the panel, flick a list the whole screen flashes.
> while this doesn't happen with xrender where it seems more conscious in its
> updated areas
ok, something has to trigger those repaints and we can find it :-)

Please disable all effects except show paint, restart kwin to be sure the
effects are gone. No add one effect after another to see whether the issue
happens.

Best start with effects which are not available on XRender, e.g. Blur.

Cheers
Martin