active boot time traces, some time later..

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Nov 23 17:32:40 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 23 November 2011 18:20:40 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 November 2011, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > Yes, TabBox can render thumbnails which makes it possible to use TabBox
> > for
> > window strip. The "difficult" part is to control the TabBox from external.
> > I have a patch floating around to make TabBox working without holding
> > "Alt" key and we need to pass the atoms. I'm thinking there of two atoms:
> > * _KDE_TABBOX_STICKY: to mark the shell as first item in list
> > * _KDE_TABBOX_CONTROL_REGION: to sync panel with the TabBox
> >
> > Both requires small changes in TabBox, so it's probably really too late
> > for
> > PA2.
>
> wouldn't be good to give a window id on which sticking the tabbox to?
> in this way its position would be updated automatically
>
> > > i can give a try, but given how much workspace is already changed and
> > > how
> > > much we're struggling to get things working again i don't know if it's
> > > wise
> >
> > I try to schedule it for this weekend (given that screen locker is in a
> > state that I don't want to work on it any more :-P I am free for something
> > new)
>
> on the screen locker good job, the mega patch seems to work very well in
> active now ;) (hopefully shouldn't fallback anymore to the old lockscreen
> from which is impossible to get out)
fallback to old locker is impossible as it is dead :-)

> unfortunately right now the really big showstopper is the slowness of kwin
> gles on meego. i fear if we won't be able to ship kde-workspace master  with
> pa2 if it won't get solved...
given that I broke my PA installation by having the great idea of updating to
openSUSE 12.1 I could give meego a try again and look myself.

But I fear that the issue is that the Intel graphics are just not capable of
doing OpenGL 2 decently. There is a reason why we default to OpenGL 1 for
Intel on the desktop... I know we have one slow code path in the fragment
shader which doesn't matter on decent hardware, but might matter on not so
good hardware. The slow code path is an if-statement in the fragment shader.
Yes a simple branch which is evaluated to false most of the time.
> ..or find a way to enable again compositing with xrender
that's trivial: open kde-workspace/kwin/CMakeLists.txt read through the first
few lines and change an OFF to ON :-)