RFC browser: URL bar, bounce effect, performance

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Nov 14 10:08:38 UTC 2011

On Thursday, October 27, 2011 16:54:05 Fania Bremmer wrote:
> RFC1:
> ** Proposed Change **
> leave the URL bar in the active browser on top and visible all the time
> while scrolling down
>
> ** Reason For Change **
> users want to change quickly the url (as we dont have tabs currently) to
> move to other websites and its irritating if the whole URL bar moves up
> and dissappears

I've implemented a solution for this. The browser now shows when we're way
scrolled down a "go to top" icon in the top right of the window, which quickly
takes you to the top of the screen. The underlying issue here was that after
reading a long webpage, it would take quite some swiping to get back to the
top.

Heuristics are now that if we're scrolling up, and the page is scrolled down
more than 2000 pixels from the top, you get an overlaid button next to the
scrollbar which brings you (with a swift animation) back to the top, so you
can type in your next URL. The button appears and disappears after a timeout,
to make it non intrusive, but also not too hard to hit.

Let me know how this feels for you, it's in master since Saturday.

sebas