Window Strip and KWin

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun Nov 13 15:13:07 UTC 2011

On Sunday 13 November 2011 13:18:09 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Sunday, November 13, 2011 10:52:43 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > now we have the QML based window switching capabilities including
> > Thumbnails in KWin and it would make sense to use this for the window
> > strip.
> >
> > I just see two difficulties to discuss:
> > 1. How to mark the home screen window so that it is the first one?
>
> isDesktop()? I recall we have a method like this somewhere, you probably
> know a lot better where than I do.
no it is not a desktop in the traditional sense. If it were a desktop it would
be kept underneath all other windows.

> > 2. How to tell KWin where to show the window. The current code centers the
> > window switcher on the screen, which does not make any sense, here.
>
> Right now, we use XAtoms and pass -- I think -- absolute screen coordinates.
> Maybe we can still have some mechanism like this, I mean it's only about
> one rectangle on the screen which doesn't even change all that often. New
> API though, I guess.
might be a solution... having an X atom and when it is set, we put the window
in front of the list. Zwei Fliegen mit einer Klappe :-) (No idea what's that
idiom in English, so sorry to the non-Enlish speakers)

Cheers
Martin