RFC: show a "loading..." text while booting Plasma Active underneath the spinner

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Nov 8 16:30:50 UTC 2011

>in regular usage, it's not such a big deal ime.

Why would it not be? A Smartphone - if you actually use it as a phone ;) -
is
something you have always on. You charge it every night because the damn
battery only holds for one day, but you keep it on just in case an
important
call arrives.
It's not necessarily the same with a tablet. For example it makes sense to
turn off (or hibernate) a tablet when you go to bed because it does not
necessarily need to be charged every night and you don't need it when
you sleep.
But typical usecases for a tablet involve either "just wanting to quickly
look something up on the internet" or doing work while on the way.
In both cases it is annoying when you have to wait for the device to
boot up first.
Here is my everyday usage scenario: In the morning when I get on the
train to work, I take out my Wetab to start working. In the evening when
I return home I hibernate it.
So every morning I lose a considerable amount of time (will have to
measure but it's definitely much more than 30 seconds) looking at the
startup screen.

So I don't think startup time is negligible for tablets.

Cheers,
Thoms