RFC: show a "loading..." text while booting Plasma Active underneath the spinner

Fania Bremmer fania.bremmer at basyskom.de
Tue Nov 8 09:45:47 UTC 2011

Am 04.11.2011 16:50, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Friday, November 4, 2011 09:51:07 Fania Bremmer wrote:

>>> hmm, probably the problem is that the animation for some reason still
>>> stops
>>> too early?
>> This as well - the animation stops before the final loading has occured.
>> How can we assure that the animation doesnt stop before the whole
>> booting is done?
> this, as well as making sure the animation is continuous and says "loading"
> (re-using the loader symbol used elsewhere somewhere on the screen for
> unification) is probably enough.
>
> if we do use text it means:
>
> * a step up in visual complexity. images are one thing (esp the "calm" ones we
> currently have), text is another level in cognitive requirements :)
>
> * we have to internationalize it; not a big deal, but it is more work for us
> to entertain and one more place that a user can be greeted with "not my
> language" text .. and the worst possible time: first impression before they
> even get to use the device
>
> if we can avoid text, +1 from me. if we can't, i'd prefer to see something
> nicer than the stark and somewhat negative "Loading..."; e.g. "Preparing your
> device..." or sth along those lines.

For me in this request there a several impacts:
- booting time (at least on WeTab with MeeGo) is quite long, so some
user become unpatient and start touching: we could fix this by either
becoming quicker in performance or maybe using this boot time for a
quick introduction into the device. Thomas had the idea to give, while
interesting features and also the tweeks and hidden secrets like the
dragdown of the top bar. But this is of course a first start experience,
I wouldnt bother users every boot time with this.
- The spinner transforms while loading into the logo, which stays
permant, unmoving: if we manage to keep the spinner animation
continuous, as Aaron pointed out, we give the user the information
"still in progress, please wait"
- Regarding the text: internationalizing would be a big thing in
general, not only for this little intro text then, so I would not base
the decision on this point. But a more positive meaning would be a
favor, youre right. How about "Activating Plasma Active" or "Creating
your active experience" or "Activating..." or "Trying to wake up" (just
kidding:)?