RFC: show a "loading..." text while booting Plasma Active underneath the spinner

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Nov 4 15:50:40 UTC 2011

On Friday, November 4, 2011 09:51:07 Fania Bremmer wrote:
> Am 03.11.2011 18:27, schrieb Marco Martin:
> > On Thursday 03 November 2011, Fania Bremmer wrote:
> >> ** Proposed Change **
> >>
> >> show a "loading..." text while booting Plasma Active underneath the
> >> spinner
> >>

> >> ** Reason For Change **
> >>
> >> I observed the problem, that while booting and loading active, people
> >> start
> >> tapping on the orange logo, because they think its already some kind of
> >> menu;  a small  loading..." text would help and make them more patient, I
> >> guess.
> >>

> >> ** Implementation Details **
> >> - insert the text
> >
> > hmm, probably the problem is that the animation for some reason still
> > stops
> > too early?
>
> This as well - the animation stops before the final loading has occured.
> How can we assure that the animation doesnt stop before the whole
> booting is done?

this, as well as making sure the animation is continuous and says "loading"
(re-using the loader symbol used elsewhere somewhere on the screen for
unification) is probably enough.

if we do use text it means:

* a step up in visual complexity. images are one thing (esp the "calm" ones we
currently have), text is another level in cognitive requirements :)

* we have to internationalize it; not a big deal, but it is more work for us
to entertain and one more place that a user can be greeted with "not my
language" text .. and the worst possible time: first impression before they
even get to use the device

if we can avoid text, +1 from me. if we can't, i'd prefer to see something
nicer than the stark and somewhat negative "Loading..."; e.g. "Preparing your
device..." or sth along those lines.

humru othro a kohnu se