Publishing KDE/Active applications to various stores

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Nov 4 16:00:48 UTC 2011

On Friday, November 4, 2011 15:21:26 Laszlo Papp wrote:
> I am just wondering what people think of publishing KDE Applications
> to various app stores (ie.: Ovi, Intel App store, Android market and
> so forth).

i think it's good if and only if:

* the applications work well; otherwise it will only give KDE a bad name in
mobile, where we currently do not have any reputation

* authors are made aware of this so that there are no 'ugly surprises' when
they find out 2nd hand that their app has been added to one of these stores
and e.g. 'someone' is charging money for it. this is a social issue.

personally, i have no love for the proprietary platforms such as iOS and a
only a bit more for the may-as-well-be-prioprietary ones such as Android. but
that's just me and my freedom caring ways; what others wish to do is up to
them as long as it stays within the license guidelines.

speaking of which, i doubt that very many pieces of KDE software, given the
licensing, would be allowed on some platforms (e.g. Windows Phone and iOS both
have f/oss limiting restrictions). so the legal side also needs looking at.

> I have tried to make few points about the available options (pros and cons):
> http://community.kde.org/KDE_Mobile/Sprints/November2011-Planning#Open_Ques
> tions

fyi: static linking of kdelibs is not supported. that could change with work
towards allowing that in the mobile build profile, but i don't know what that
would entail in its entirety.

getting rid of kio's out of process stuff and all required support daemons in
a mobile profile is probably the most important set of changes.

humru othro a kohnu se