RFC: remove resources feature is missing

Fania Bremmer fania.bremmer at basyskom.de
Tue Nov 1 15:00:37 UTC 2011

Am 01.11.2011 15:29, schrieb Javier Llorente:

> On 28 October 2011 at 16:40 Carl Symons <carlsymons at gmail.com> wrote:

> activity and
> > > this
> > >
> > > Well this seems to be more of a usability problem to me. We have
> removed
> > > the "Add to current activity" / "Disconnect from current activity"
> (don't
> > > remember
> > > the exact wording) menu items in favor of the more general
> activity list
> > > so
> > > users can directly add to or remove from any activity, but it
> seems that
> > > this
> > > does not work intuitively for adding to / removing from the current
> > > activity.
> >
> > Removing resources from Activities is not intuitively obvious. Adding
> > to an Activity works fine with the + button (Although some of the
> > people who jump right in mistake that sequence for an app launcher).
> > Removing is not clear. In fact, I was not aware that there was a
> > remove function before reading this message. Now it seems obvious.
> [...]
>
> IMO, the menu for removing bookmarks and images/documents/other
> resources should be the same for consistency.

So I suggest this:
- We offer for every kind of resource the option "disconnect from
current activity" and "delete" with an alert saying something like "this
will delete this file permanently, also in other activities its
connected to. do you want this?"

- The current label "acitivities" should be renamend to "add to other
activities" and then the list as usual; we could also go for "connect to
other activities", as it is the same action as connecting content via
SLC (that is called "connect to activity"). Currently the very same
action, only manual, is called "add resource". Shouldnt they all be
called "connect" and "disconnect"? So we need the same connect-Icon in
SLC AND on the activity screen, no? Aaron, does "connect" in SLC has
other features in future as the current connect?

- We can keep the current layout of the context menu, though I like
Aarons idea of some pie-menu. I thought about it several times already,
also for our activity switcher that offers this great half-pie-space
directly on the edge, that cries for some pie menu for adding new
resources for example ... I will make up my mind and do some scribbles
here, I guess :) Buts thats all only ideas for the future...nothing for PA2.

- The deleting resource concept needs also more definition, as we have
to make sure, that neither the deleted file is  connected and shown on
any other activity nor appears in the add-resource-dialog. Topic for
roadmap?