webbrowser and share-like-connect

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jun 22 09:19:02 CEST 2011

On Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:38:11 Marco Martin wrote:
> * an human readable name

this is absolutely required. showing the user a facebook url or a path in the
file system instead of the web page title or the "actual" title of the file is
not acceptable.

> * an icon/thumbnail whatever?

this was in the original proposal ... it's going to be harder to do than other
items and in some cases likely not possible at all. so it would need to be
optional.

for live thumbnails, it needs to generated at runtime, so we can't use the
icon theme for that. for items that don't have a related visual (e.g. a
tweet/dent) then an icon would work fine.

we could require that thumbnails be written out to disk and a local path be
passed, which would make both the icon case and the thumbnail case equivalent
in terms of passing in a path (QString). otherwise, we'll need two parameters,
either or both of which can be empty: a QString path (to an image, or an icon
name) and an in-memory image/pixmap.

since apps are accessing this via an API, it wouldn't be hard to implement the
"save the thumbnail to disk" inside the relevant class (ResourceInstance?).
it's just a matter of performance (hitting disk is slow relative to passing
things around in memory)

humru othro a kohnu se