current status Contour - activating/opening a resource with an arrow

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jun 22 08:41:52 CEST 2011

On Thursday, June 16, 2011 17:19:06 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> So we need to find the $other-gesture either for selecting or opening, or
> decide that double-tap is the next best option and go with that.

double tap should be our last resort imho. reasons:

* many items in the UI are single tap, and for good reason. introducing double
tap as an important gesture leads to the same stupidity as on the desktop:
some thing you single, some thing you double, and lord knows which is which
(as a mere mortal user)

* hitting something twice, even with the finger, is remarkable less enjoyable
(it feels like i'm hammering on something .. it's not a "happy" interaction)
than pressing and moving. probably because of the analogs in the real world:
what do we double tap anywhere, other than things that aren't working and so
you need to press them again and again?

> hold gestures are not a good idea since they

yes, hold sucks for the reasons you note.

humru othro a kohnu se