current status Contour - activating/opening a resource with an arrow

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jun 16 17:10:59 CEST 2011

On Thursday, June 16, 2011 16:27:49 Mario Fux wrote:
> > So, should we use double tap?
>
> Just one humble opinion:
>  The double tap comes from MS Windows and KDE Desktop users are used to
> the  single click (tap) to open stuff. Do you really want to break this
> consistent behavior on tablets (or Plasma Active).
>
> I think it would be bad to destroy this consistency internal to different
> KDE  or Plasma interfaces.

I think we're doing something completely different here, double-tapping is not
double clicking, a finger is not a mouse. In fact it's much easier to double
tap, than to double click, ergonomically. It requires less motoric skills.

> As it's easy to critize let's try to give a solution:
> - What about a long tap (hold) and then move to a corner or side of the
> overlay to activate or select or ...

I don't see how this is more intuitive and ergonomic than double-tapping. Such
a gesture is really something one would need to learn.
--
sebas