Contour Design Concept - Activity Switcher

Fania Jöck fania.joeck at basyskom.de
Mon Jun 20 13:54:23 CEST 2011

Am 20.06.2011 12:08, schrieb Marco Martin:
> On Monday 20 June 2011, Fania Jöck wrote:
>> Ah, Marco, what I am still thinking about is the positioning of your
>> "change wallpaper" icon. I actually like the feature, that the user can
>> change the wallpaper after creating the activity and also the appearing
>> overlay for choosing another image looks nice. Currently in my layouts
>> every activity thumnail in the switcher has the following icons:
>> "delete" and "duplicate". We could consider another "configuration icon"
>> like you use currently in the Contour development and open a view where
>> the user can edit the name of the activity and the wallpaper image. I
>> think these are the only two functions that are not covered by our
>> normal activity screen, where the user can add, edit and remove the
>> resources... what do you think?
>>
>> In the Activity Overview Screen there is enough space for 3 icons, in
>> the wheely switcher it might get crowded; we have to check that first...
> i would anyways put the delete icon top-right since matches the usual location
> of close buttons, so those 3 buttons would be more spaced anyways?
Hmm, close and delete are very different features... So I actually
wouldn't put them in the same learned area, if there is a chance that
somebody confounds them... I think all three can be displayed in one
row, we might adjust the activate-arrow a bit more to the middle.

> as for the configuration icon, i can put it either in the activity screen
> itself or in the thumbnail of the current activity (for a limitation it can't
> be positioned in others, that kinda makes sense since wouldn't be possible to
> see the changes immediately)
I would put all those edit-icons, that are changing the whole activity,
only in the switcher to clearly distinguish the actions "with" the
activity (like delete, duplicate and configure) and "within" the
activity (add, remove resources etc). With thumbnail you mean the
activity-thumbnail-image in the switcher, I suppose? (We really need to
create reliable wording for our elements, it looks like everyone uses
different one, I get mixedup a bit :)...) Then for me that sounds good.

> as the switching slider, all the action icons could be shown only for the one
> currently in foreground, hidden for the others
+1
> btw, in the activity overview switching would be done with the slider as well
> or just by clicking?
We could put in the slider as well just for consistancy reasons, but I
dont know if the slider here is as usable as in the wheel, because the
positions of the arrows are a lot different, scattered over the screen.
And I suppose that a lot of users just want to tap on the thumbail to
open it, so we should support that. We could offer both, but then we
have a lot of arrows on the screen, because there is no thumbnail active
in the front. While I am thinking about it, I would prefer only the
tap-gesture here.

Greets,
Fania