current status Contour - activating/opening a resource with an arrow

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sat Jun 18 11:08:20 CEST 2011

> On Thursday 16 June 2011, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > On Thursday, June 16, 2011 17:46:08 Mario Fux wrote:
> > > Ok. Let's try again then ;-). I still think that double tap and double
> > > click is more or less the same or at least people will get it this way
> > > (atm I did a survey with n just 1 ;-). And that would be perceived as
> > > an inconsistency in the KDE software universe. That's what I like to
> > > prevent as it's difficult enough to sometimes explain to the former
> > > Windows users that it's no double thing here.
> >
> > They're pretty different. Mouseclicks require a good amount of hand-eye
> > coordination and translating the coordinates from hand to screen, this is
> > not necessary for touchscreens as you directly manipulate the object on
> > screen, not through some proxy (the mouse). That's a key difference.
> >
> > In my testing, I often see that when people try a button, and it doesn't
> > react the first time, they try double-tapping it. That's a pretty good
> > sign for discoverability. Literature seems to support it as one of the
> > more "natural" ways of triggering something.
>
> my concern is that there will always be around elements that will be single
> tap, in part because they would be elements where "selecting" doesn't have
> much sense (buttons, popup nemus, window thumbnails) in part because at
> least in the beginning we can't have 100% dedicated ui, there will still
> be some apps arriving from the desktop, plasmoids with the same ui
> desktop/tablets, so it would effectively be introducing a piece of
> incoherence where there wasn't
>
> i am ot sure, probably is good supporting -also- the double tap in some
> pieces of  the ui that are more inherently select one item and confirm
> (thinking about wallpaper chooser, widget explorer) but for a so prominent
> piece of the ui like that.. hmm, needs more testing i guess.
>
> at least in the beginning when it won't be necessary to revert a whole lot
> of stuff, switching between one and the other and test should be
> reasonably easy.

I suggest what we should consider first: How often is opening needed, how
often is selection needed? If selection is not needed often, I'd suggest doung
things the other way around: For example first tap the "share" button which
puts you in "select mode" (this would have to be indicated visually) in which
you select things with a single tap instead of opening them. In the "normal
mode" single-tapping would open.
The downside of this is the less intuitive order of actions (first select the
action, then the object), but I'd say it's worth trying it with a few users.

Regards,
Thomas