current status Contour - activating/opening a resource with an arrow

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 23:44:43 CEST 2011

On Thursday 16 June 2011, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Thursday, June 16, 2011 17:46:08 Mario Fux wrote:
> > Ok. Let's try again then ;-). I still think that double tap and double
> > click is more or less the same or at least people will get it this way
> > (atm I did a survey with n just 1 ;-). And that would be perceived as an
> > inconsistency in the KDE software universe. That's what I like to prevent
> > as it's difficult enough to sometimes explain to the former Windows users
> > that it's no double thing here.
>
> They're pretty different. Mouseclicks require a good amount of hand-eye
> coordination and translating the coordinates from hand to screen, this is
> not necessary for touchscreens as you directly manipulate the object on
> screen, not through some proxy (the mouse). That's a key difference.
>
> In my testing, I often see that when people try a button, and it doesn't
> react the first time, they try double-tapping it. That's a pretty good
> sign for discoverability. Literature seems to support it as one of the
> more "natural" ways of triggering something.

my concern is that there will always be around elements that will be single
tap, in part because they would be elements where "selecting" doesn't have
much sense (buttons, popup nemus, window thumbnails) in part because at least
in the beginning we can't have 100% dedicated ui, there will still be some
apps arriving from the desktop, plasmoids with the same ui desktop/tablets,
so it would effectively be introducing a piece of incoherence where there
wasn't

i am ot sure, probably is good supporting -also- the double tap in some pieces
of  the ui that are more inherently select one item and confirm (thinking
about wallpaper chooser, widget explorer) but for a so prominent piece of the
ui like that.. hmm, needs more testing i guess.

at least in the beginning when it won't be necessary to revert a whole lot of
stuff, switching between one and the other and test should be reasonably easy.