current status Contour - activating/opening a resource with an arrow

Mario Fux kde-ml at unormal.org
Thu Jun 16 17:46:08 CEST 2011

Am Donnerstag 16 Juni 2011, 17.19:06 schrieb Sebastian Kügler:

Morning

> > > Just one humble opinion:
> > >  The double tap comes from MS Windows and KDE Desktop users are used to
> > >
> > >the
> > >
> > > single click (tap) to open stuff. Do you really want to break this
> > > consistent behavior on tablets (or Plasma Active).
> >
> > +1, was hard enough to get rid of the double click on the desktop, last
> > thing  i want is to reintroduce it there ;)
>
> We could only because we could find a working solution for selecting,
> namely the hover overlays. Those obviously don't work on touch.

Agree completely.

Let me first answer your other mail.

I don't think that double tap and double click are ergonomically different and
think that both need the same amount of motoric skills. Just think about the
finger motion. Fast up and down, twice.

Btw it's something I realized to be quite difficult for new and in particular
older users. On the normal Desktop it's difficult for them to not move the
mouse when double clicking. And sometimes even "normal" users don't get it to
double click fast enough.

And yes I agree that in this case (tablet) the mouse moving won't be a
problem. But clicking fast enough is one and I may be biased as I want to
bring KDE software to older people and new users.

> So we're comparing apples and oranges here, our alternatives are:
>
>   single-tap: select; double-tap: open
> versus
>   single-tap: select; $other-gesture: open
> versus:
>   $other-gesture: select; single-tap: open
>
> (not: "we have something better to select, so we can make triggering
> easier")
>
> So we need to find the $other-gesture either for selecting or opening, or
> decide that double-tap is the next best option and go with that.
>
> hold gestures are not a good idea since they
> a) take longer to execute (800 msec threshold vs 75 msec for double tap)
> b) on other platforms are used as context menu (iOS, Android at least)
> c) seem yet less discoverable than double-tapping
>
> I rest my case (until you convince me). :)

Ok. Let's try again then ;-). I still think that double tap and double click
is more or less the same or at least people will get it this way (atm I did a
survey with n just 1 ;-). And that would be perceived as an inconsistency in
the KDE software universe. That's what I like to prevent as it's difficult
enough to sometimes explain to the former Windows users that it's no double
thing here.

But back to the search of a solution. Why and when do you need to select (and
not at the same time need to get a context menu with e.g. holding) a single
item.

The first thing that came to my mind when I thought about selecting on the
touch interface was: circling around the object(s).

That's my 3 Rappen for the moment
Mario