current status Contour - activating/opening a resource with an arrow

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jun 16 17:19:06 CEST 2011

On Thursday, June 16, 2011 16:34:35 Marco Martin wrote:
> > > So, should we use double tap?
> >
> > Just one humble opinion:
> >  The double tap comes from MS Windows and KDE Desktop users are used to
> >the
> >
> > single click (tap) to open stuff. Do you really want to break this
> > consistent behavior on tablets (or Plasma Active).
>
> +1, was hard enough to get rid of the double click on the desktop, last
> thing  i want is to reintroduce it there ;)

We could only because we could find a working solution for selecting, namely
the hover overlays. Those obviously don't work on touch.

So we're comparing apples and oranges here, our alternatives are:

  single-tap: select; double-tap: open
versus
  single-tap: select; $other-gesture: open
versus:
  $other-gesture: select; single-tap: open

(not: "we have something better to select, so we can make triggering easier")

So we need to find the $other-gesture either for selecting or opening, or
decide that double-tap is the next best option and go with that.

hold gestures are not a good idea since they
a) take longer to execute (800 msec threshold vs 75 msec for double tap)
b) on other platforms are used as context menu (iOS, Android at least)
c) seem yet less discoverable than double-tapping

I rest my case (until you convince me). :)
--
sebas