current status Contour - activating/opening a resource with an arrow

Mario Fux kde-ml at unormal.org
Thu Jun 16 16:27:49 CEST 2011

Am Donnerstag 16 Juni 2011, 13.49:46 schrieb Sebastian Kügler:

Morning

[snip]

> > Ah, okay, got it ... so it's selection vs. triggering. Hmm....
>
> Did a quick readup on gestures available for touch-screens ("O'Reilly's
> designing gestural interfaces" is a suitable reference). The following are
> generally available: Tap (single, double), drag/slide, flick, nudge, pinch,
> spread and hold:
>
> The interesting ones here I think are: double tap and hold, possibly drag
> and nudge:
>
> - tap (single): used for selection
> - tap (double): used for opening / triggering
> - hold: used for context menu?
>
> The double tap sounds like a good solution to me, since it's kind of
> learned from certain desktop systems, easy enough to do without too many
> motoric skills, and quite discoverable (I've seen people trying double
> tapping immediately after single tap didn't bring what they expected in my
> unscientific "torture-your-friends-with-unfinished-UIs" tests.
>
> So, should we use double tap?

Just one humble opinion:
 The double tap comes from MS Windows and KDE Desktop users are used to the
single click (tap) to open stuff. Do you really want to break this consistent
behavior on tablets (or Plasma Active).

I think it would be bad to destroy this consistency internal to different KDE
or Plasma interfaces.

As it's easy to critize let's try to give a solution:
- What about a long tap (hold) and then move to a corner or side of the
overlay to activate or select or ...

Just my 2 Rappen
Mario