current status Contour - activating/opening a resource with an arrow

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jun 16 13:49:46 CEST 2011

On Thursday, June 16, 2011 13:39:42 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Thursday, June 16, 2011 13:30:21 Marco Martin wrote:
> > > What is the problem we're trying to solve here? Making it harder to
> > > open resources so it doesn't happen accidentally? In that case, the
> > > activity
> >
> > in part that, in part another issue, i think Aaron could explain this
> > better,  since he did the testing.
> >
> > for trying the idea of slc, he did a little paper prototyping with some
> > random  people, with the mockup showing a typical plasma containment with
> > some widgets, some icons, some thumbnails and so on.
> >
> > then asked "share this image" and almost everybody tapped on the
> > thumbnail/icon/whatever then on the share icon of share/like/connect
> > panel  plasmoid without further explanation.
> >
> > now unfortunately that test didn't cover "open this item" since it
> > clashes  with that workflow, but suggests that the long tap menu is
> > still.. meh ;)
>
> Ah, okay, got it ... so it's selection vs. triggering. Hmm....

Did a quick readup on gestures available for touch-screens ("O'Reilly's
designing gestural interfaces" is a suitable reference). The following are
generally available: Tap (single, double), drag/slide, flick, nudge, pinch,
spread and hold:

The interesting ones here I think are: double tap and hold, possibly drag and
nudge:

- tap (single): used for selection
- tap (double): used for opening / triggering
- hold: used for context menu?

The double tap sounds like a good solution to me, since it's kind of learned
from certain desktop systems, easy enough to do without too many motoric
skills, and quite discoverable (I've seen people trying double tapping
immediately after single tap didn't bring what they expected in my
unscientific "torture-your-friends-with-unfinished-UIs" tests.

So, should we use double tap?
--
sebas