current status Contour - activating/opening a resource with an arrow

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 13:30:21 CEST 2011

On Thursday 16 June 2011, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > I actually would stay with the learned pattern: one touch opens a
> > resource. The arrow-thingy makes it more complicated in my opinion. I
> > agree that unintentional opening of resources could occur in this case.
> >
> > Any other feedback so far from user testing with that arrow-open-feature?
>
> I've shown the activity switcher to a Thomas Thym in Randa, and had his
> kids (2 and 3 years old) play with it. One of them was able to switch
> activity on her own, one needed it shown one time how to slide it. I don't
> think they understand *what* they were actually doing, but the gesture
> needed doesn't seem too hard.
>
> I think it's a bit of overkill for opening resources, though.
>
> What is the problem we're trying to solve here? Making it harder to open
> resources so it doesn't happen accidentally? In that case, the activity

in part that, in part another issue, i think Aaron could explain this better,
since he did the testing.

for trying the idea of slc, he did a little paper prototyping with some random
people, with the mockup showing a typical plasma containment with some
widgets, some icons, some thumbnails and so on.

then asked "share this image" and almost everybody tapped on the
thumbnail/icon/whatever then on the share icon of share/like/connect panel
plasmoid without further explanation.

now unfortunately that test didn't cover "open this item" since it clashes
with that workflow, but suggests that the long tap menu is still.. meh ;)