current status Contour - activating/opening a resource with an arrow

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jun 16 12:11:09 CEST 2011

Hi Fania,

On Wednesday, June 15, 2011 17:48:04 Fania Jöck wrote:
> I just tested the current implementation of Contour with the idea of
> opening a resource with a slide-In with the arrow - well, actually i
> think thats not that well usable. Its a real tricky movement with your
> fingers and mostly your finger will cover the arrow completly (unless
> its like the current implementation, where you slide the arrow to the
> left in direction of the next resource to the left, not optimal...).
>
> I actually would stay with the learned pattern: one touch opens a
> resource. The arrow-thingy makes it more complicated in my opinion. I
> agree that unintentional opening of resources could occur in this case.
>
> Any other feedback so far from user testing with that arrow-open-feature?

I've shown the activity switcher to a Thomas Thym in Randa, and had his kids
(2 and 3 years old) play with it. One of them was able to switch activity on
her own, one needed it shown one time how to slide it. I don't think they
understand *what* they were actually doing, but the gesture needed doesn't
seem too hard.

I think it's a bit of overkill for opening resources, though.

What is the problem we're trying to solve here? Making it harder to open
resources so it doesn't happen accidentally? In that case, the activity
switcher and opening resources are quite different, since the AS needs to be
swyped with a thumb, which is much harder to do in a controlled way than
tapping.

sebas