resources, plasmoids and hacks

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jun 9 13:14:49 CEST 2011

On Thursday, June 09, 2011 13:01:37 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>   On Wednesday, June 8, 2011 22:09:31 Marco Martin wrote:
> > a) reorder the boxes around as there seems to be demand for
> > b) a bit more flexible for widgets, compared to the appletstrip (heard
> > some complaints about it as well)
> > c) not having to ship two different types of activity, resource centric
> > OR widget centric
>
> if the widgets are not related to the activity, i don't think it makes
> sense.  otherwise we end up mixing two different kinds of items: those
> that are context/recommendation sensitive and those that aren't, those
> that have the attributes of plasmoids (configuration, manual creation via
> the 'add widgets' ui, etc..) and those that don't.
>
> what are the complaints about the appletstrip, exactly?

* Fixed with (or aspect ratio really), makes many applets look stupid,
  sometimes overlap
* horizontal swiping is needed in some applets
* too big overlay buttons (not 100% related)
* layout should be a bit more flexible (most people I talked to would prefer
  something more close to the grid containment)

Those are the ones I can think of.
--
sebas