connecting/disconnecting from activities

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 10:54:04 CEST 2011

On Friday 29 July 2011, Fania Jöck wrote:

> > right, probably followed by switching back to the activity i was
> > currently in.
> >
> > the use case this really fails for is on the desktop where i wish to
> > associate a window/application with an activity
>
> How could a user associate a window with an activity via the context
> menu? Until now I always thought the context menu only appears on the
> activity screen, while long tab on a resource icon.
>
> I thought the connection of windows/applications, that run in fullscreen
> mode would be done via the SLC icons in the upper top bar?

the menu displayed is the same.
by the way what aaron was saying was the association of the running
application itself, somethng that is possible to di in the desktop right now
(but there is no ui for it in contour, the titlebar needs to be unhidden)

for aaron: what should happen is that besides connecting the resource also the
window should (i think the code for it is internal in kwin atm?)

> > : if i switch activities first, that
> >
> > window will disappear.
>
> Is this the case? Right now in the current development all applications
> that I open stay opened in the task switcher, even if I am switching
> activities. And maybe thats not a bad idea, because if I openend my Mail
> client, I want to leave it openend.

actually that's a bug in the task switcher that shows always windows from all
activities, but if you note, after activating a window from a different
activity, it will switch everything to that activity.

> But I know from the desktop metaphor and the idea of different
> workspaces=activities, we would make all related applications dissappear.
>
> > which means SLC will simply not be usable at all to
> > accomplish this use case.
>
> As mentioned above, I thought we can connect an application window with
> whatever activity I like, and yes sure, here the list is very important
> and the only way to connect. For me this SLC Menu is different from the
> "Contour context menu".

as said, completely the same implementation and look, because wouldn't make
sense do twice and with a slightly different ui the exact same actions, so one
changes, the other one changes as well