settings, startup performance, kde4

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jul 28 02:48:16 CEST 2011

On Thursday, July 28, 2011 00:08:43 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 27, 2011 17:00:39 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Monday, July 25, 2011 17:10:40 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > > It sounds like removing it will make setting a default font, the
> > > empty> > mouse cursor harder, or am I misunderstanding its role?>
> > no, that's precisely its role :)
> So, let me try to completely understand it. :) Which setting changes exactly
> would be ignored? Taking the fonts as an example (since the default fonts
> have bothered me forever), would defining a default font in
kdeglobals/etc/kde4/... still work? What does this thing do exactly?

on my system it is touching ksplash and randr stuff; font dpi forcing is
there; language/locale defaults... all in all: it's user customizations.

even if that file is needed (and i'm rather doubtful it is on the sorts of
devices we're targetting) we can generate it once or when the user changes the
relevant settings. there should not be a need to do it on every log in.

> It would be interesting to run our startup sequence through bootchart
(http://www.bootchart.org/ ) and looking at where it's really spending

agreed.

i'm guessing we'll probably have lots of small things to remove rather than
any really big things. the people who went before us did a good job given the
tasks they had. thing is, the task has changed :)

for instance, calling kde4-config 5 times in the startkde script just to find
out paths that we _know_ without question (and so can easily hardcode in
without risk) is just wasteful for us. contrast with the desktop where these
things are much more fluid and running kde4-config is a negligable cost.

hopefully such bootchart runs _will_ give us big targets to go after, but we
shouldn't be surprised if it's just lots and lots of little ones that will
require us to question the assumptions made for the desktop in our startup
sequence.

also, if we don't have a runtime-configured read ahead set up on the image and
the files that are most needed lined up nicely, we should also investigate
that. it _really_ cuts down on runtime from what i'm seeing on the pandaboard.

humru othro a kohnu se