settings, startup performance, kde4

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jul 27 17:00:39 CEST 2011

On Monday, July 25, 2011 17:10:40 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> It sounds like removing it will make setting a default font, the empty mouse
> cursor harder, or am I misunderstanding its role?

no, that's precisely its role :)

however, if those settings never actually change, there seems to be no point
in running it. and if the settings change, the file it generates at log in
could be instantly created then.

it seems this application was developed to allow random adding of control
panels and other set up bits. this makes sense in a desktop where the
installed software changes, the hardware is unknown, the user settings are
open for complete customization.

on a device like a tablet or phone, however, all of those things are
constrained. so i don't think running this at start makes any sense.

it also means that we will need to adjust the startkde4 script ... which we'll
want to do anyways as there is a TON of stuff in there that is all about
flexibility which the desktop demands but which is irrelevant for a device.

having looked at startkde4 recently, it seems that we probably burn a lot of
start up / log in time for Plasma Active doing things which make zero sense
for mobile devices.

humru othro a kohnu se