consistent component naming

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jul 25 14:26:16 CEST 2011

hi all..

when working on components, such as plasmoids and what not, i'd like to
propose the following naming conventions. if we can get consensus on this, i
will document it on the wiki and start enforcing it with my Very Large Stick
Of Virtual Pain(tm):

Component Names
==============
These are the names stored in configuration files under plugin= and X-KDE-
PluginInfo-Name= keys.

If the component is generic (re-usable outside of a specific shell), it must
be of the name org.kde.<foo>

If the component is specific to the Active efforts (e.g. consumer device
oriented) then it should have org.kde.active.<foo> as the name.

The rational for the added "active." is to allow us to create components
within the Active effort which may later be replaced or displaced without
causing naming issues for us going forward. Essentially, this replaces
"mobile" in the names.

File names
========
The installed .desktop files must have the form:

	plasma-<component type>-<plugin name>.desktop

Example:

	plasma-applet-org.kde.active.notifications.desktop

humru othro a kohnu se