Activity Screen : Resize and Dragging

Fania Jöck fania.joeck at basyskom.de
Mon Jul 18 11:00:09 CEST 2011

Hi,

I actually prepared some layouts for resizing and dragging of Boxes
during our last workshop here in Darmstadt and forgot to share them.

DRAGGING BOXES
So for dragging the Box I suggest do use a color highlight, that
actually show, where the box can be released, see scribble:
http://share.basyskom.com/contour/UIDesign/Contour_DragBox.jpg
Currently that feature uses a light transparent white area that is not
well seen. I would suggest in using a real highlight color, that would
be used consistently for:
- highlighting of resources (for example while the context menu is opened)
- highlighting of areas (like here for dragging boxes)
- highlight of icons (like the recommendation overlay when there are
new, unread recommendations)
- highlight of selected items (for example in the add resource dialog)

This color highlight would help to focus the users attention on that
current object, that needs to be manipulated, edited etc. With only
white and transparent objects this is hard to achieve, in my opinion.
Could we just choose a color here, that would be also part of the brand
of Contour (we could actually also adapt the grey-ish Logo to that color
then), or is there already some highlight color in Plasma?

RESIZING BOXES
For resizing of boxes, I think the user needs a little hint, that this
feature is possible. Currently no test user got that feature, if he
didnt watch it before. Normally the edges get just a small icon, that
indicates the "grip", see scribble for two possible icons:
http://share.basyskom.com/contour/UIDesign/Contour_ResizeBox.jpg. For me
the first row with the little dots is a better symbol; the arrows
indicate more an enlargement in 2 directions, but our feature currently
supports only extension in a horizontal direction.

What do you think?
Cheerio,
Fania

--
Fania Jöck
Interaction Designer

basysKom GmbH
Robert-Bosch-Str.7 | 64293 Darmstadt | Germany
Tel: +49 6151 870589 122 | Fax: +49 6151 3969 736
fania.joeck at basyskom.de | www.basyskom.de

Handelsregister: Darmstadt HRB 9352
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Eva Brucherseifer