Lessons for PA3

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Dec 16 11:08:48 UTC 2011

On Friday, December 16, 2011 11:57:05 Sebastian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=FCgler?=
wrote:
> * Longer cycle
> * Longer freeze

agered on all points. i think it was useful to get a PA2 out there quickly to
polish PA1 paint points and show momentum and progress. congratulations and
thanks to everyone who was involved in making that happen.

now, we can afford to, and need to for the reasons you outlined, catch our
breath and move forward.

> * Clearer "what do we ship"
>
> There has been quite a bit of patch juggling in the last days before the
> release, and to me it was hard to find out what exactly to ship. We need to
> get this more clearly defined, and have some time between code-freeze and
> release to make sure everything works.

goal #1 should be to limit the number of patches we ship. obviously with PA2
we were in the difficult situation of being very close to a kdelibs and kde-
workspace release (4.8) that we really wanted/needed functionality from.

so for PA3, let's ensure that everything possible is in the most recent stable
release of KDE SC. that may mean timing PA3 to sync with KDE SC 4.9, which may
be a good idea for the longer release cycle you issues you also mentioned.

humru othro a kohnu se