info needed for Plasma Active Two release announcements

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 15:49:23 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> hi...
>
> we are tentatively going with the following three messages for the release
> announcement around PA2:
>
> * Improved usability
>        * enhanced touch functionality in contour
>        * improvements to web browsing
>        * settings app
>        * consistent interface for adding things to activities
>        * bug fixing (bugzilla says 92 issues closed so far, with 48 open)
>
> * Performance improvements
>        * improvements in keyboard
>        * faster listings of applications
>
> * Recommendations
>
> it will wrap up with an overview of availability, which will highlight the
> working partnership with Mer and the availability of Plasma Active on the
> various devices that it has been brought up on (archos, tegra2, etc..). the
> expansion of availability between PA1 and PA2 will be highlighted.
>
> final para will be an invitation for participation and a hint that PA3 will be
> a more feature-focused release.
>

> so .. what i need from all of you is this:
>
> lists and details of changes in PA2 that fit in the above 3 topics. e.g. "what
> has changed, exactly, in the web browser?", "what are the most significant
> fixes?", "what kind of numbers do we have for the faster, model-based
> listings?"
>
> also please feel free to add new subtopics. i only listed two items under
> performance improvements, though i know there are more than that ;)
>
> bullet point lists are good enough. i don't need full sentences/paragraphs
> (though those are also welcome ;) as i'll be putting this together into a
> coherent text next week.
>
> which means i need this info by next week ;) ... tuesday at the latest please!
>
> --
> Aaron J. Seigo

I have gotten several requests from people wanting to install Plasma
Active on their tablets. There are two camps:
* devices currently running PA. I got a message today from someone who
wants PA on their ARCHOS G9 tablet (publicized a day or two ago).
People are hungry for notiOS and notAndroid. Plus they want real open
source and experimental cool stuff without having to start from zero.

* devices that resemble working installations...ARM

It would be useful to building traffic and awareness to have
information to support both. Acknowledging the possibility of
problems, including bricking...there can be warnings, fallback
strategies, whatever else is necessary to support the mad scientists.
Perhaps the more outlandish installation possibilities could be
treated through a more informal website/wiki.

This will take knowledgeable developer input, as well as purposeful
coordination between the various installation suggestions, wikis and
forums. It could (will) be messy, but the outcomes are
valuable...potential new developers, more people, devices, traffic,
publicity, applications.

This all fits with "invitation for participation", and serves to lower
the technical bar for involvement.

Carl