getting images together for 1.0

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Aug 31 17:36:23 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, August 31, 2011 17:06:51 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
>  Okay, I see I used the wrong term here. Usecase of course means
>  something
>  different to an engineer since it is a defined term in engineering. ;)
>  What I meant was actually something different, something broader.
>  Let's call them "usage scenario" then.

ah .. "user stories" .. yeah, we have generated a few of those in the past.
doing another round of them and thereby refresing our goals for PA-Two would
be quite good.

>  These are the things that create value for a user, the technical
>  usecases are only
>  the means to reach the goals when combined.
>  To create those scenarios, we'd of course have to find out what people
>  are using  their tablets for first.

my response to this depends on whether we are talking about the primary
interface or the applications that ship with it.

for the primary interface, i'd say:

doing that would lead us to, i'm afraid, recreating the "application buckets"
of Honeycomb and iPad. since 'running applications to read news, talk to
friends and play games' isn't a very hard concept to grasp, more interesting
to me is what people would _like_ to use their tablets for (including that
which they perhaps haven't yet realized is possible to expect from them).

the idea of activities is precisely in that direction, of course, and
hopefully it will be a way for people to form a more personal connection with
their device while also finding it more useful to them.

for apps that ship with the device:

this is a good way to know which areas to target first. i suppose that would
be angry birds ;P .. calligra and kontact are ok as demoware at the moment,
but they both need more work from their respecitve teams. they fill two _very_
important areas in the applications area: documents and groupware.

there are going to be a lot more holes for us to fill, and seeing what people
are using most right now on their tablets would be highly useful.

> > in the development cycle, as i can do everything (save one thing)
> > that we have
> > defined as must haves for the first release.
>
>  We definitely should do that for the next release cycle, yes. It's okay
>  to focus  on getting the very basics working for a first release, but in\

yes; we're working on the minimal product right now .. which is actually
already pretty non-minimal, thankfully :)

>  order to  market  a product to a wider audience of end-users, I think it is
>  very  importand  to focus on what creates actual value for them.

that was the thinking that led to activities and Contour itself. it will be
interesting to see where we decide to focus our attentions on in the next
iteration. i don't think we'll do anything too radically variant from what we
have now, but that means we'll have resources to fill in the spaces left
unfilled right now.

humru othro a kohnu se