getting images together for 1.0

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Wed Aug 31 17:06:51 UTC 2011

 On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 17:08:21 +0200, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>>  It should have what's needed to be of actual value to the user. No
>
> even that's a bit broad for the first release (we don't have a way to
> add new
> widgets or applications easily, ala an 'app store', for instance)

 Well, probably nobody would pay any _money_ for a system that doesn't
 provide
 a way to install applications easily, but imo it can still be _useful_
 if
 the default widgets and applications are well selected.

>>  Making things shiny is nice, but it won't help if the user can't
>> make
>>  actual use of the product.
>
> agreed; thing is, we're at the point where the product is useful, but
> it now
> is bad need of being made tidy, consistent, performant, beautiful ..
> iow
> "shiny"

 Okay, if that's actually the case than we are at the "we have time to
 do more"
 stage ;)

>>  That's what makes the difference between a tech demo and a product.
>
> all of our use cases, with the exception of recommendations,
> currently work.
> the primary use cases are:
>
> * launch an application
> * find an application
> * switch between applications
> * switch to the home screen
> * close an application
> * switch between activities
> * create an activity
> * configure an activity
> * delete an activity
> * add items to an activity with the + button
> * add items to an activity with SLC
> * add items to an activity via the recommendations panel (this one is
> still a
> WIP)
>
> supporting use cases are:
>
> * connect to a network
> * monitor status of the device (battery, bluetooth, time, etc)
> * put the device to sleep
> * see notifications as they occur

 Okay, I see I used the wrong term here. Usecase of course means
 something
 different to an engineer since it is a defined term in engineering. ;)
 What I meant was actually something different, something broader.
 Let's call them "usage scenario" then.
 Something like "I'm sitting at a bar with my friends and want to show
 them the
 fotos I just made with my camera on my tablet" (which is actually a
 scenario I
 might try out on Friday at a pub ;) ) or "I'm watching TV. I have seen
 an ad and want to look the product up on the internet using my tablet.
 After
 I've got some information, I want to send an email to my friend
 recommending the
 product".

 These are the things that create value for a user, the technical
 usecases are only
 the means to reach the goals when combined.
 To create those scenarios, we'd of course have to find out what people
 are using
 their tablets for first.
 On the other hand, these can also be used for marketing purposes, as
 Marco suggested.

> as such, all of our use cases (save one) work in the strictest sense
> of the
> word. while each use case needs testing (and that is welcome), where
> we are at
> with development is "making the components that enable the use cases
> as good
> as they can be". that means things like:
>
> * fixing functional bugs
> * visual continuity and detail
> * ensuring touch usability
> * improving performance
>
> the process of defining use cases and making sure we meet them is
> something we
> will start again for Plasma Active Two. right now we're at a
> different point
> in the development cycle, as i can do everything (save one thing)
> that we have
> defined as must haves for the first release.

 We definitely should do that for the next release cycle, yes. It's okay
 to focus
 on getting the very basics working for a first release, but in order to
 market
 a product to a wider audience of end-users, I think it is very
 importand
 to focus on what creates actual value for them.

>>  I don't know how important the Meego platform is for us, but if it
>> is
>
> it's important, but not in the sense that it needs to be ready as a
> finished
> product right now. that we have packages for it and that things run
> is the
> critical goal for this stage.
>
> making a conman backend for the network UI is not a task we have the
> resources
> for right now, though that would change almost immediately as soon as
> we would
> get our first meego based device project.

 Alright, that's an answer I can live with then :)