WindowStrip KWin Effect

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun Aug 21 11:59:12 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I just pushed the begining of moving the window strip into KWin into a new branch
kwin/window-strip in kde-workspace repository. [1]

The major change in this is that a DBus interface is added to KWin's TabBox (for the non-
KWin people that is our Alt+Tab implementation) which allows to start the window switching
without the need to hold the Alt key.

The second change is to make tabbox non-modal which means that we don't do a keyboard
and mouse grab any more. So we can present the window list and nevertheless get touch
events to the panel controller and app launcher.

The third thing is a new KWin effect to render the window strip. It reacts on the TabBox
activated signal and uses an internal QWidget to receive input events and to determine
where to render the window strip. The QWidget itself is not shown at all during the effect, it
gets hidden by the effect, but receives all the input events. So we can even use QML there
to lay out the windows and everything, it will never end on the screen.

My idea is that the panel controller activates the non-modal mode of TabBox and
communicates the geometry of the window strip with the QWidget. The QWidget gets all the
touch events and handles the flicking.

What I have currently is just showing the windows. I have not much time the next weeks so I
doubt I will be able to finish it. Also I have not much knowledge about touch events and so
on. So I hope someone (that is notmart) takes up from there and moves the flicking code from
the applet to the effect.

In any case of questions: you know how to reach me :-)

Cheers
Martin

[1]: http://commits.kde.org/kde-workspace/d81f80a9edf669df98a6e82f9863ea78691524b5