Merge of some consolidation stuff and staging on build.pub.meego.com

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 14:00:50 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 17 August 2011, Maurice de la Ferte wrote:
> > When comparing packages between oS and MeeGo, they're already quite
> > different, since openSUSE's OBS does a lot of checks, uses tons of
> > macros.
> >
> > Maurice: What gains did you have in mind, i.e. why did you start
> > splitting in the first place?
>

> Ok here the reasons why we have started to overhaul big parts of the
> existing KDE packaging on MeeGo. In my option the hole packaging on MeeGo
> was a quite 'interesting' collection of packages taken from Opensuse and
> Fedora. Big parts does not fit together, like package versions and the way
> how to build and install. I stumbled often over kde corpse parts in the
> old packaging, in my point of view it was absolutely unmaintainable. But I
> have a big interest to get KDE usable and much more stable on KDE. So we
> started to overhaul and improve the hole the packaging in a way we are
> able to get part of other MeeGo projects (e.g DE). Several people with
> greate KDE integration background are involved in this consolidation. In
> my option with this stuff we are a big step forward with KDE on MeeGo.

so, to recap,
i think that trying to have a naming consistent to the opensuse ones is good.
is also true that experimental repo has many other fixes than packages
renaming, so throwing away all that work wouldn't be nice.

if it's not a giant work migrating the packages to names similar to suse
again, that should be done, even if not top priority, but anyways the
experimental repo should be merged with the main one asap.

how would be with this solution? (new packages, rename them to me more similar
to opensuse)