adding an updated kernel to KDE:Active repo?

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Aug 4 08:53:50 UTC 2011

Hey all,

This is mainly about the Balsam packages, so if you're only interested in
Meego, skip it. :)

As none of the tablets I know works particularly well with the kernel that's
shipped in openSUSE 11.4 by default, I usually advise people to grab the
latest kernel from Tumbleweed.

I was wondering if you think we should add this kernel to the Active
Repository. We don't need to change anything, just branch the Tumbleweed
Kernel into the Active Repo, and it'll be installed alongside our packages.
Deps are rather tame, though you won't be able to install most proprietary
graphics drivers. (Not that I know hardware that uses those that we run on,
right now.) I've got a reasonable grip on kernels, and would update it on a
regular basis from Tumbleweed as I can test new kernel releases.

Big upsides of a new kernel: better performance, lower power consumption and
most important of all: better odds of a working touchscreen. :)

Any objections?

P.S.: My tablet runs Plasma Active on Linux 3.0, how cool does *that* sound?
:)
--
sebas