[WebKit-devel] Packaging for Debian

Adrian von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Sun Jun 14 09:44:48 CEST 2009

On Saturday 13 June 2009 18.25:02 Michael Howell wrote:
> >  * linker flags:  Debian's library dependency scripts detected that
> > webkit is probably linked unnecessarily against some libraries, see the
> > warnings below.  How can I pass --as-needed to the linker to avoid
> > these?  (They're libraries that are probably installed in any case due
> > to other dependencies in KDE so it's not a bad problem, but I'd really
> > like to keep my dependencies as clean as possible.)  Passing
> > -DCMAKE_LD_FLAGS=... seems to be ignored or overridden.
>
> Try using CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-Wl,--as-needed

Ok, this worked for me.

Dependencies that were dropped from the library package because no symbols
were ever used:
libqt4-dbus, libqt4-svg, libqt4-xml

Most dependencies are dropped from the kpart itsel; aside from the webkitkde
library, qtcore and kdelibs are the only remaining dependency.

I don't know enough about linking KDE stuff and writing cmake rules to
really go into this (the proper fix would be to avoid linking to those
unneeded libraries in the first place), but OTOH --as-needed works just fine
and the libraries are, as I've said, probably installed on every system
through other KDE dependencies anyway, so it's no big deal.

cheers
-- vbi

--
Remember that DEFAULT_MOD is Mod1, which on normal Linux (and most UNIX)
systems is the Alt key. The Alt key is also known as the Meta key, but