[WebKit-devel] Packaging for Debian

Michael Howell mhowell123 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 18:25:02 CEST 2009

On Friday 12 June 2009 09:25:07 Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> Are external users of the libraries anticipated?  Or are they just a
> possibility?  Do you plan to maintain the ABI compatibility by changing the
> compatibility if the ABI changes?  And if you do so:  will you be managing
> the soname versions of the three libraries independently or will you lock
> the three libraries to always have the same (soname) version?  (If the
> versions will be maintained independently, I'll split the package into one
> per library.)
Currently, neither API or ABI are guaranteed right now. The plan is to move
the libraries piece by piece into KDELibs, where both will be maintained as
KDELibs requires.

Parts of the libraries are already used outside the KPart. I know that the
Konqueror speech plugin uses it.

>  * linker flags:  Debian's library dependency scripts detected that webkit
> is probably linked unnecessarily against some libraries, see the warnings
> below.  How can I pass --as-needed to the linker to avoid these?  (They're
> libraries that are probably installed in any case due to other dependencies
> in KDE so it's not a bad problem, but I'd really like to keep my
> dependencies as clean as possible.)  Passing -DCMAKE_LD_FLAGS=... seems to
> be ignored or overridden.
Try using CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-Wl,--as-needed

>  * And finally, to satisfy my own curiosity as well as for adding it to my
> cautionary note in the package's README file:  Is there a roadmap on
> when/at what milestones webkitkde will be released from playground to a
> "real" version?
I'm not aware of any date/time plans.

Thanks for packaging WebKitKDE.

--
Please do not send HTML mail. Please, if you forward email, clean off the
garbage. Thanks for making everyone's email experience more enjoyable.

Michael Howell
mhowell123 at gmail.com