[WebKit-devel] KDEWebKit - current situation and future

Michael Howell mhowell123 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 03:06:37 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 22 October 2008 12:45:38 Urs Wolfer wrote:
> Hi Simon, hi list
>
> I would like to do a short summary of the present state of
the QtWebKit
> integration into KDE, and it's future.
>
> Things which have been done so far:
> * Split into different libs / parts, namely "kdenetwork"
> (QNetworkAccessManager implementation based on KIO),
"kdewebkit" (KDE
> integration of the QtWebKit components) and the KPart
itself.
> * Basic documentation on TechBase:
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/WebKit
> * Component to report bugs on bugs.kde.org
> * This mailing list; currently moderated by me.
>
> In short: the KPart can basically be used for surfing (or
testing websites
> with WebKit) in Konqueror.
>
> There are things which do currently not work as they
should:
> #1: History
> Currently history (back, forward,...) does not work reliable.
There is some
> API required to manipulate the history from the KPart. I have
talked with
> Simon at Akademy about this issue. The idea was basically
to create
> something like QWebHistory#restoryHistory(QByteArray)
and QByteArray
> QWebHistory#saveHistory(). Would be nice to have it in Qt
4.5.

> #2: Flash support
> Flash support, which is provided by WebKit trunk, works
fine in the Qt demo
> app (and Arora), but not in the KPart. Needs some
investigation where /
> what is broken. I assume there is some issue with parents
>
> #3: Broken form element rendering with KStyles (at least
Oxygen style)
> Short description; works with Qt styles like Plastique, but
not with
> Oxygen. Form elements are rendered too small (e.g. margin
around text on
> buttons). Would be nice to see it fixed in Qt 4.5.
>
> #4: Form completion
> This is probably a harder task. We either need access to the
DOM, or some
> hooks which are provieded. We also need to think about
security for this
> feature (!). Websites should not be able to "steal" data...
>
> #5: KWebPluginFactory
> Michael Howell has done a QWebPluginFactory
implementation which should be
> able to load KParts into QtWebKit. Last time I have talked to
him, he told
> me that loading (IIRC) is broken in some way... Michael, you
better tell us
> details about it.
AFAIK, after looking through WebKit sources, I never saw any
implementation of the loading through QWebPluginFactory. In
other words, the QtWebKit guys never got WebKit to actually
load plug-ins through QWebPluginFactory. Also, I never found
QtWebKit trying to load it (it did look up the information,
though).

> I think #1, #2 and #3 are currently blockers to announce a
working
> integration of KDEWebKit. Are there any plans from side of
Qt Software to

--
Michael Howell
mhowell123 at gmail.com