[WebKit-devel] KDEWebKit - current situation and future

Urs Wolfer uwolfer at kde.org
Wed Oct 22 21:45:38 CEST 2008

Hi Simon, hi list

I would like to do a short summary of the present state of the QtWebKit
integration into KDE, and it's future.

Things which have been done so far:
* Split into different libs / parts, namely "kdenetwork"
(QNetworkAccessManager implementation based on KIO), "kdewebkit" (KDE
integration of the QtWebKit components) and the KPart itself.
* Basic documentation on TechBase:
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/WebKit
* Component to report bugs on bugs.kde.org
* This mailing list; currently moderated by me.

In short: the KPart can basically be used for surfing (or testing websites
with WebKit) in Konqueror.

There are things which do currently not work as they should:
#1: History
Currently history (back, forward,...) does not work reliable. There is some
API required to manipulate the history from the KPart. I have talked with
Simon at Akademy about this issue. The idea was basically to create something
like QWebHistory#restoryHistory(QByteArray) and QByteArray
QWebHistory#saveHistory(). Would be nice to have it in Qt 4.5.

#2: Flash support
Flash support, which is provided by WebKit trunk, works fine in the Qt demo
app (and Arora), but not in the KPart. Needs some investigation where / what
is broken. I assume there is some issue with parents

#3: Broken form element rendering with KStyles (at least Oxygen style)
Short description; works with Qt styles like Plastique, but not with Oxygen.
Form elements are rendered too small (e.g. margin around text on buttons).
Would be nice to see it fixed in Qt 4.5.

#4: Form completion
This is probably a harder task. We either need access to the DOM, or some
hooks which are provieded. We also need to think about security for this
feature (!). Websites should not be able to "steal" data...

#5: KWebPluginFactory
Michael Howell has done a QWebPluginFactory implementation which should be
able to load KParts into QtWebKit. Last time I have talked to him, he told me
that loading (IIRC) is broken in some way... Michael, you better tell us
details about it.

I think #1, #2 and #3 are currently blockers to announce a working integration
of KDEWebKit. Are there any plans from side of Qt Software to look in some of
these issues?

Of course, I'm also interested in any other comments.

From my side there is not much time left to work on it in the next few
months.. (in general for KDE). Army, which is unfortunately obligatory here in
Switzerland, is calling. Still, I would not like to completely forget about
KDE related things in this time ;) I hope to be able to respond at least to
mails as fast as possible.

Bye
urs