Adding new audio CDs to a music collection

Peter Mayes peter at petermayes.org
Sun Jan 14 12:16:54 GMT 2024

This refers to tellico-3.5.1 under Fedora38 Linux.

[And apologies if I post quite a bit in the coming days, but having
spent a lot of time in recent weeks with my CD collection, I have
spotted a number of things I want to feedback. Watch this space!]

There are two ways of downloading CD information from the internet I
have used: "Import Audio CD data", and "Add Entry > Internet Search"
followed by entering the UPC/EAN number. Until very recently I have just
stuck a CD in the drive and done the "Import Audio CD data" method.

Back in 2016 I reported the following:

 > D) My default view has the "Composer" field down the left-hand side, and
 > then "Album" top right. I have a problem when I "Import Audio CD Data"
 > for a new CD. I can't find it!! Because the disk/track information from
 > the internet is so "varied", there is no guarantee that it is going to
 > be under an existing "Composer". As soon as I import a new CD, I like to
 > edit the information to correct the internet information. But it takes a
 > looooong time for me to find the new disk!

RS Reply: You could show and sort by "Date Created" in the column view.
Recently edited and new entries are also in bold, for visual emphasis.
What would make this work better for you?

Since then I have mostly just searched for newly added CDs with the
method you suggested. But when I recently started searching using the
UPC/EAN number, I see that in the top right panel, the newly added disc
is not only highlighted, but is centred in that panel (but see comment
below), so is immediately visible.

So I wonder if the same method of placing the newly-imported disc in the
top right panel couldn't also be used for "Import Audio CD data"? It
seems the natural thing to do.

"see comment below": this may not be immediately helpful, but I have
seen some occasions when the newly-searched-for (by EAN/UPC) disc does
NOT appear centred in the top right panel and I have to go searching for
it. But I haven't yet been able to work out the circumstances when this
happens. I will keep trying to reproduce this.

--
Best wishes -- Peter