Feature request: Numista lookup by N#

Cliff Bar klfjoat at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 03:18:21 BST 2023

On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 12:04 PM Robby Stephenson <robby at periapsis.org> wrote:
>> I checked in recently and found that Tellico now has a Numista data source. This is great! However, it seems that the Numista search method Tellico uses does not use Numista's N#'s. This is a unique number assigned to everything on Numista.  There are also NN#'s for subtypes.
>
> Tellico is using the API v1 and it looks like there's now a v3, so I'll have to check into that. But in the meantime, searching for the N# does work already, but the Tellico search only looks at coins for the moment. So coin 95420 shows:

Ah. The first things I was looking to catalog were banknotes. I'm a
few hundred in and never thought to try N# for coins, mostly bc the
drop-down says "Keyword".

> The default Tellico coin collection template doesn't lend itself well to banknotes. I'll have to think about that a bit more, and then update the Numista search accordingly.

All I needed to do to alter the coin template to work with everything
I wanted was...
* add a "Type" choice field with the allowed values Banknote, Coin, Exonumia
* add a "Serial Number" simple text field

I've also added other things, but those are all I found necessary to
extend the template to make it workable for banknotes and the other
non-money things that orbit coins (e.g., mint tokens in mint sets).

FYI I have some Flatpak feedback, but I'll start another thread for that.

Thanks!